Yorktown - Colonial National Park and American Revolution+ Museum

Hey all, I hope you are well!

    Since I made an IG, I've gained several new followers and I wanted to thank you so much for your support and interest <3  

    So far, my posts have been about historical adventures that my fiancé and I have enjoyed in Virginia.  I hope to add in some posts about the books I am reading for 2023, following along with the Once Upon A Book Club 2023 Reading Challenge. I also hope to share some crochet goodness and maybe even some baking posts. 

*As always, all discussed places and fun, will have links at the bottom of my post, enjoy.

      As an anxious introvert, I know that not everyone is an extrovert, I like to know as much as I can learn about a place before I go so, I don't have to be as anxious and know more of what to expect day of.  I do hope I can help at least one person feel just a tad more comfortable going on historical adventures. 

    Anyway, we are here to discuss the American Revolution Museum in Yorktown, Virginia.  Before we got to the museum, we began our day at the Colonial National Historical Park. 

     I will not lie; we had no idea about this museum... at first.  Our initial intention for the day trip was to check out the Colonial National Historical Park location of Yorktown. (Or at least that is what my fiancé typed into his phone GPS.)  So, if you plan to go make sure you are very specific in where you are wanting to go.  Both of these locations are extremely close, you can certainly do both in one day comfortably with time to spare.  If I can recommend anything, it would be to pack a snack! 

  • First Stop - Colonial National Historical Park, Yorktown Battlefield

    When we arrived at the battlefield, there is a building that you can go in and walk around.  You can purchase your tickets and use the facility as well.  I have no idea why I thought I'd be able to walk this, but no.  For the battlefield tours, you get in your car and drive from location to location, there is a free app for this called the Yorktown Tour Guide.  The app guides you through both the Battlefield Tour and the Allied Encampment Tour.  Each location has a sign that you can see from the road that helps guide you along the tour.  



    If you have a National Park Passport book there are stamps at this location to collect.  I also picked up a Yorktown Battlefield pin to add to my collection. I honestly live for a good gift shop!

    The park is open daily, but make sure to check their hours and Holiday closures before you leave.







  • Second Stop - American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
    Before we went into the museum, we had our snack and I ended up getting a coffee from the cafe inside because I felt a headache coming.  Snacks are important so I don't get hangry. 

    I really enjoyed this museum.  I loved that there is a classic inside museum with tons of exhibits as well as an outdoor exhibit!  The outdoor exhibit had museum staff dressed in Revolutionary War time clothing, you could speak with them, hold an old musket and even see a sample meal that would have been served to the soldiers. 


     I am usually really nervous to walk up and talk or ask questions, but I was really comfortable here.  The groups there were small, we did go in the beginning of October, so tourist season was mostly over.  Outside there is a small recreation of the Continental Army encampment, company kitchen and artillery amphitheater where we got to hold a genuine musket!  There were also recreations of slave quarters and tobacco barn.  The farmhouse had a woman cooking, and it actually smelt amazing.  We spent some time in there talking with the staff member.  

Cute Kitty

    We walked along the pebbled path to the farmhouse and came across the cutest cat, he was sleeping in a plant on the fence and decided to follow us, so I took his photo.  I blame myself for waking him up because I was hovering over him doting on him. 






    Inside the museum there was a great gift shop and small cafe.  There was a lot of recreated clothing to look at.  There is a siege theatre that plays every 12 minutes.  The experiential theater plays the film with wind and smoke.  I was able to get some good pictures. 









George and I.
I really enjoy when I see other people enjoy their jobs.  It made my experience great, and I can tell they love their jobs.  Everyone is happy... bonus. 







You know I like a good link...

Follow my IG - click

This is my referral link for Once Upon a Book Club - site here

Colonial National Historical Park - site here

Get your park pass - here

American Revolution Museum at Yorktown - here









Comments

Popular Posts