Basic Adult Crochet Beanie

 Basic Adult Crochet Beanie

Created by Lanna



Skill Level - Beginner Friendly


Materials Used


I Love This Yarn (Hobby Lobby Yarn) Medium/#4


5mm/H8 Size Hook


4.5mm


Darning needle - to weave in ends


Scissors


Optional Helpful Materials


Stitch Marker


Row Counter

 

I got so annoyed trying to find a pattern for a “basic” beanie.  Most of the patterns I was finding were made in double crochet or with a larger sized hook.  I prefer the beanies I wear or gift to have tighter stitches and more coverage with less gaps. I made this simple crochet beanie pattern using half double crochet and single crochet stitches. So, with my favorite hook size (5mm) and my favorite yarn (I Love This Yarn), I decided to make my very first pattern! This very “Basic Adult Beanie.”  I hope you enjoy this pattern and find it useful.


This pattern is also on Ravelry here



Things to know before you begin -

  • Chain 1 at the beginning of each round does not count as first stitch.
  • First stitch(es) is in the same space as the joining stitch.
  • Hat starts from the top.

Stitch Key

  • HDC - Half Double Crochet
  • SS - Slip Stitch
  • SC - Single Crochet


Start with a Magic Circle.


Round 1: 8 HDC in Magic Circle, then pull the lose yarn tight, join with SS to first HDC (8)


Round 2: Ch 1, 2 HDC in first stitch (joining stitch), and each stitch around, join with a SS to first HDC (16)


Round 3: Ch 1, *2HDC, 1HDC* Continue from * to * for the rest of the round, join with a SS to first HDC (24)


Round 4: Ch 1, *2HDC, 1 HDC in each next 2 stitches* repeat *to* for the rest of the round, join with a SS to first HDC (32)


Round 5: Ch 1, *2HDC, 1 HDC in each next 3 stitches* repeat *to* for the rest of the round, join with a SS to first HDC (40)


Round 6: Ch 1, *2HDC, 1 HDC in each next 4 stitches* repeat *to* for the rest of the round, join with a SS to first HDC (48)


Round 7: Ch 1, *2HDC, 1 HDC in each next 5 stitches* repeat *to* for the rest of the round, join with a SS to first HDC (56)


Round 8:Ch 1, *2HDC, 1 HDC in each next 6 stitches* repeat *to* for the rest of the round, join with a SS to first HDC (64)


Your piece should measure 6-6.5 inches diameter.


Rounds 9-19: Ch 1, HDC in each stitch around, join with SS to first HDC (64)


Rounds 20-24: Switch to 4.5mm hook, Ch 1, SC in each stitch around, join with SS to first SC (64).


Fasten off and weave in ends.


If you need your hat to be a little longer, add in an additional row or two of HDC’s, or just add another row of single crochet in at the end.


Make sure to also tie your yarn at the center of your hat, where you began, then weave in, to keep the magic ring from unraveling.



For this gray beanie, I used reverse SC for a touch of added texture on the last row. Optional*

I hope you find this pattern helpful!

Feel free to use my pattern to make beanies for yourself or those you love as gifts. You can also sell what you make using my pattern. I only ask you to kindly give credit for the pattern back to The Sarcastic Hermit.  I also would love to see your work, so please feel free to tag me on social media!


-The Sarcastic Hermit, aka Lanna


Comments

Popular Posts